I promised myself and my darling wife that I would begin to regularly post to this blog starting today. Expect things to be rather random. And I apologize for jumping in in the middle of the story.
There are a lot of things going on these days. On the trivial current events front, yesterday, the Saints won Super Bowl 44. I don't do Roman Numerals. I couldn't be happier for the team. I couldn't be happier for the city of New Orleans and its people. Great! And Drew Brees is my new favorite humanitarian and football player. If that's the last Super Bowl I see I'm not disappointed.
Last one? Why would I say such a thing? Well, recently I learned that my cancer has recurred. I've got some spots on my liver and probably another instance of cancer in my pelvis. I'll know more after a PT scan Thursday. My oncologist, Dr. Alexander Hantel, has been great for me over the past almost five years. I'm sure he's somewhat disappointed himself because as of September 2010 I would have been "cured".
And now I'm not and, so he tells me, I won't ever be. I started chemotherapy last week and we'll know more about the prognosis after a few more treatments. If the chemo is effective I could live for a while. If it's not...
There is a lot of good news is that diagnosis though. First, the chemo has already reduced the debilitating pain I've had for the past four years. And that is really really good news. I am actually lucid and not under the influence of major narcotics for the first time in a long time. Woo hoo!
Strangely, I'm not frightened. We'll see how long that lasts. I am going to do a few things I've always wanted to do. I've never been to Europe and I'm going to make that happen this Summer. Stephanie and I talked today about taking a month and visiting France and Great Britain. The whole family. I really really look forward to that. I'm going to start planning the trip immediately. Suggestions welcome.
Mike, you are a continued inspiration and have always made me laugh. I'll read and comment, but I won't be as funny as you.
ReplyDeleteDiana and I took our kids to London and Paris a few years ago, traditional US family trip to Europe - Buckingham Palice, Tower of London, British Museum, Lion King on West End, Chunnel train. Stayed in the Paris Hilton, Versailles. It was great. For my family "We'll always have Paris." Highly recommended.
Take care, bud, and know your friends are with you.
The only thing I can say is that I love you and have never wanted anything more than your good health and happiness. I hope all your dreams come true.
ReplyDeleteOh. I somehow love and hate this at the same time. I love the Michael in this post. I hate the cancer. I love the humor and positive spin. I hate that I had to figure out what 45 is in Roman Numerals = XLV (cause you'll have to use that next year).
ReplyDeleteThank you for inviting me to read this. I love you.
Michael - thanks for the invite to read your blog. I think about you a lot and will be nice to keep in touch.
ReplyDeleteI've been to Europe a few times. I'll tell you the best way I've seen it is on a river cruise - small boat, small towns, very cool way to see it. Pretty reasonable too.
Here is where Missy and I have gone:
www.gct.com
Keep posting and stay happy!
Thank you Michael for including me. I have no eloquent words. Just simply want you know I care.
ReplyDeleteWe are looking forward to seeing you and Connor at Disney. Let me know dates ASAP. Love you, Mom.
ReplyDelete