Saturday, February 20, 2010

Thrill of Victory...Agony of Defeat

I know for me those words conjure that poor anonymous ski jumper going head over heels at the beginning of every Wide World of Sports episode. I keep thinking of him as I turn on the olympic games.

Call me an old fart but I sort of miss that old feeling that these folks are toiling in anonymity for four years at some obscure sport like curling or luge only to burst onto the world's stage for their fifteen minutes of fame. Of five minutes of fame. Seems now they all are so commercialized and sponsorized. Still it's entertaining.

I love the female snowboard half pipers with their faces shining off the jumbotron at the end of the run and their iPods blaring during their runs. I especially cracked up at Kelly Clark who sang along tonelessly to her iPod tunes at the top of her lungs. Bronze medal worthy.

I really enjoy watching the downhillers and their incredible fearlessness. The tiara just kind of spoils it a bit.

I've finally reached the end of my patience for figure skating and can't stand to watch it. Even though the guy who won is from right here in Naperville, IL. The fuss and feathers is just too much. After Blades of Glory it's all downhill, so to speak.

Ah well. It's a quiet Saturday afternoon with not much else to do. Click.

1 comment:

  1. I always said you should be a writer. This commentary is newspaper worthy.

    ReplyDelete