Friday, February 12, 2010

Social Security

Spent several hours in the local Social Security Administration office today. If you ever want to see a slice of life that is certainly one. There were, of course, the obligatory crying babies and ripe smelling folks. The wait was long but everyone seemed to be in relatively good spirits.

I was in no hurry to get my business done there I suppose because of the nature of that business. I was there to apply for disability. I had a large packet of paperwork provided by the MSW's at the hospital. I hadn't the heart to look through it at length but the upshot of it was that I wasn't physically able to work any longer and therefore needed disability ASAP.

The young lady who processed my application, a Mrs. DelGado, was extremely nice and assured me that my application would be processed very quickly. Even as soon as next week. Nevertheless the government requires that you wait five months from the point of disability until your benefits start. Just really strange to sit there and listen to her describe how much money I was entitled to, how much my kids would receive, and how much my family would continue to receive after my passing. Sheesh. I hope to put that off for as long as possible.

Yesterday's PET scan was fine. Just time consuming. I should get the results when I go visit the doc Monday. Of course it crosses my mind that there might be additional cancerous areas but I'll know Monday and not before so no point worrying about it too much. I have chemotherapy starting Monday as well so I'm sure I'll be feeling like I'm dying shortly thereafter anyway.

Sunday is Valentine's Day. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry that you had to go through this necessary evil of dealing with the government red tape. When did your "point of disability" start?

    Love you. Happy Valentine's Day to you and Steph.

    ReplyDelete