Monday, April 12, 2010

Better late...

It has been almost a month since I posted to this blog. Shame on me. I'd like to say that it's because I've been hard at work on my novel. Or that I've been busy stripping wallpaper (eek). Or that I've any good excuse for not doing something productive. But I haven't. I've just been lazy. And sometimes sick and tired. Mostly lazy.

I hereby resolve that I am going to start assigning myself writing and other projects so that I don't go completely crazy. My lovely and wonderful wife has been ever so gently suggesting that I find things to do since I'm prone to depression when I don't have purposeful endeavors. So there you go. Whether you like it or not I'll be posting something here at least once a week. Putting it on my calendar right now. I'm also going to do my darnedest to write some fiction of some sort. It's nice that people think I have a knack for writing enough to suggest I do more of it and even to suggest they might read it. A memoir seems so self indulgent so I'll confine the memoirish ramblings here where they can't get out.

As for other "things to do" I'm taking suggestions. I'm considering golf but it's expensive. I'm willing to do some volunteer work if I find the right thing to do. There's also my see sawing health which makes committing to things difficult. Perhaps when my current chemo treatments are over I'll find something.

And now to the news: One week ago today I began chemotherapy treatment cycle number five of eight. If you're at least as good at math as I you'll calculate that I'm more than halfway done. Yippee! The plan remains to rescan and reassess after the cycles are complete. Dr. Alex mentioned at my last meeting with him that he's been talking with the radiation oncologists about my case and that they might try to treat my pelvic spot with radiation. Not that I look forward to that, having been radiated thoroughly in the past, but he seems to think it holds promise. So I got that going for me, which is nice. I'm really looking forward to being done with this chemo and feeling good for a while.

Connor and I recently visited Disney World with my mom, her husband, his daughter, and her family. It was an excellent trip. Mom rented a very nice house and her other two grandkids, Griff and Lily, were delightful. We visited all four Disney parks and I only had to go home early once. I was very pleased with my stamina. We rode everything and even did all the roller coasters multiple times. Big fun.

This week I'm going to New Orleans with my great friend, Eric Solberg, for three days. Eric and I have been close since we went to business school together. He has been amazingly supportive throughout my whole cancer battle and is just an amazing man. He has lived in San Diego for the past five years or so and we don't get to see one another often. So we're going to hang out, see some sights, eat some good food, listen to some great music, and generally have a good time. Stephanie has been wonderful about suggesting I do things like that. That's incredibly generous of her since we rarely get to travel together as a family. And since I'm on the government dole and we're poor wards of the state. Thank you, dear wife!

That's all the news for now. The children are doing magnificently. Summer is almost upon us. So I'd better get going. ttfn.

1 comment:

  1. All of us had a wonderful time. Lily is still crying over Connor.

    ReplyDelete