Sunday, March 21, 2010

Lion in Winter/Spring

It snowed here yesterday. And the forecast calls for snow again today, Sunday. Thursday and Friday the temps were in the sixties, the sun was shining, the top was down on my shiny convertible, and all was right with the world. It is amazing to me how folks' outlooks on life itself are impacted by the weather. Myself included. Why don't we all live in California, Florida, Arizona, or some other sunkist spot?

Somehow, that old argument about seasonality always comes up. "I like the change of seasons!" Well, so do I but I think I'd be perfectly content with just a week or two of Winter and a smaller smidgen of Fall. I'll put that in the old suggestion box. Along with a few other suggestions.

I'm starting to believe one's age can be determined by the percentage of his/her thoughts and conversations that relate to weather. My kids never talk about the weather. I don't think they even think about it at all. They just (sometimes) don the appropriate clothing and gear and go out and face it. I hereby determine to speak and think less of the weather. And hopefully think less about it. I've always been a fan of that serenity thing: God give me the wisdom blah blah blah, don't fret about stuff you can't effect anyway, etc. There, I feel younger already.

Along that same line I find myself, somewhat disturbingly, feeling tranquil about my medical situation/cancer. Oh, I'm certainly efforting to take much better care of myself than I have in the past. But beyond that I feel like it's out of my hands. In the hands of the "higher power". And I'm really OK with that. I just completed chemo treatment number 3 and I'm coming out of the funk and sickness. My existence now is really sort of bipolar. On the week I have treatment I feel like total crap Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday then slowly ramp out of it the rest of the week. I'm conciously trying to push myself physically more each day. I'm no Bear Grills. I just try to walk a bit more or do some curls with my immense ten pound barbells. Feel better and better each day until that dread Monday when it's back to the chair for another treatment.

I get a week's respite this time to go to Disney World/Orlando with my son, Mom, stepdad, and stepsister/stepbrotherinlaw/theirkids. Should be a lot of fun. And the weath...It will be warm! We're off this coming Saturday until April 2. Then back to the chair April 5. It will be a good exercise in pacing. I'm so looking forward to it.

At the risk of diving into one of the three unswimmable pools of philosophy; love, politics, and religion I'll just randomly dangle my feet in the last puddle for a moment. It's something one thinks about in my situation. At least this one does. And these are my musings, right?

If you asked me today, "What is your religion?" I would quote one of my heros, Honest Abe Lincoln, who said; "When I do good I feel good. When I do bad I feel bad. And that is my religion." Sort of a golden rule/karmic ideology that I honestly adhere to. I know I have done bad, many times in my lifetime. And I'm genuinely sorry for all the pain I've caused my friends and loved ones by doing so. So sorry. But I also know I've done a lot of good and my concious aim every day is to continue to do more and more good and less bad every day. If I can continue to do so I'll feel I've lived a good and valuable life and made a positive impact on the planet.

OK. Deep. How about that NCAA tournament? I love me some March Madness. I kept thinking about my friend John as I watched the stunned and defeated Kansas players exit the arena yesterday. John bleeds Jayhawk blue. Since I've never really had any strong allegiance college basketball wise I can only imagine how that felt for him. Maybe like I felt at the end of the epic Miami-San Diego playoff game? Anyway, I felt for you Johnny B. And you have to admit it's hard not to pull for a team with a guy named Lucas O'Rear. If he doesn't make it in the NBA he might have a future in gay porn with a name like that. I do root for the underdogs in the tournament and it's heartening to see a St. Mary's or Northern Iowa make a run. Here's hoping one of them makes it to the Final Four. When does football season start?

No comments:

Post a Comment