I just returned yesterday from my trip to New Orleans. As I mentioned in my previous post, I went there to meet my great friend, Eric, for some fun and relaxation. The trip turned out to be even better than expected. Eric had secretly invited two of our mutual friends from Kellogg, Geoffrey Souser and Paula Smorynski to come down and join us.
Wednesday Eric and I hung out in the French Quarter, had dinner at Coop's, one of my favorite New Orleans dives, and listened to some great music on Bourbon Street. Thursday we took a self guided walking tour of the French Quarter. The place is heartbreakingly beautiful and has the most colorful history of any place I've ever been. We then walked along Royal Street and checked out all the antique stores, art galleries, voodoo parlors, and other exotic New Orleans type establishments.
We headed over to Mother's in the CBD for lunch. We were standing in line when Geoff walked up. You could have knocked me over with the proverbial feather. Eric had been excusing himself all morning to take calls and read texts. I thought he was just being rude but he was just secretly conniving with Geoff. I was so glad to see him and we had a great lunch. Less so for Geoff since he's practically vegan and didn't find much to eat on Mother's animal fat laden menu.
We left Mothers and walked around for another couple of hours then headed to the Carousel Bar in the Hotel Monteleone. The bar is a literal carousel that rotates while you have your cocktails. Somewhat disconcerting after a few of them. Now in walks the last member of our former dinner club, Paula.
Back when we were in school together the four of us worked together in some classes and hit it off immediately. The dinner club formed when we started dining together with our respective spouses once a quarter and became fast friends. We also went out together after our last night of class as Kellogg students. I hadn't seen Paula since that night and had only seen Geoff once or twice since. Eight years ago.
It was amazing that Eric thought to bring us all together again. And amazing that Geoff and Paula took the time away from their lives and families to come down to New Orleans and hang out. Thursday night we went to the home of one of our former professors, Georgios Bakamitsos, who teaches at Tulane now. We had a great time at his house. Less so for Geoff since he suffered from some serious food poisoning from a bad falafel and had to leave early. He was, thankfully, recovered by the next morning.
Friday morning we went for a tour of the Garden District and saw some beautiful homes and the homes of some notable New Orleans residents like Anne Rice, Archie Manning, Trent Reznor, John Goodman, Nicolas Cage, and many other amazing Victorian beauties. We went to the fabled Commander's Palace for lunch. Georgios met us and we had a fabulous meal and even sampled their 25 cent martinis. Even Geoff had the best plate of sauteed vegetables ever according to the waiter.
After some recovery time in the afternoon we hit the Quarter again. Eric was jonesing for a muffaletta and though Central Grocery was closed we managed to find him one. We went to Pat O'Brien's and then heard an amazing set of Dixieland Jazz at Preservation Hall. Later it was off to Cafe DuMonde for a nightcap of cafe au lait and beignets. We also came across a convention of pirates marauding throughout the Quarter. Only in New Orleans.
Sadly, we all had to get up and go Saturday morning. I did get a great plate of red beans and rice with andouille, cornbread, and collards at the airport on my way out of New Orleans. It was a really memorable trip. I can't thank Paula, Geoff, Georgios, and especially Eric enough. I've mentioned in this space in the past what an amazing man Eric is and his arranging to bring this together is just further proof. Thank you Eric.
I'm glad to be home but I'll never forget this trip and my friends for making it so fantastic. Laissez les bon temps rouler!
What wonderful memories!!! I am so happy you had such a great time.
ReplyDelete